Kwon Mina Speaks on Sexual Assault Verdict and Recovery

Former AOA member Kwon Mina poses for photoshooting.

Former AOA member Kwon Mina poses for photoshooting. (Photo / Kwon Mina Instagram)

Former AOA Member Kwon Mina Opens Up About Sexual Assault Case Verdict and Emotional Recovery

Former AOA member Kwon Mina has shared the outcome of a long-running sexual assault case while candidly opening up about the emotional toll the legal battle has taken on her.

On May 19, Kwon Mina posted a lengthy message on Instagram, describing the day as “the end of a journey that lasted more than four years.” The former idol directly addressed the court ruling connected to an assault case dating back 18 years, revealing both relief and lingering exhaustion after the legal process concluded.

Mina said the case initially gave her hope because prosecutors believed both rape and bodily injury charges could be recognized despite the passage of time. She added that if both charges had been accepted, prosecutors could have pursued harsher punishment under the statute of limitations.

She explained that the appeals court acknowledged the rape charge but rejected the bodily injury charge, which ultimately limited further punishment under legal time restrictions.

Kwon Mina Opens Up on Case and Healing

Mina emphasized that the court’s official acknowledgment of the crime carried deep personal meaning for her, despite the outcome.

She said, “As the victim, what mattered most was whether the court recognized guilt or not. She emphasized, “Even one accepted charge means a lot because it proves the person did something wrong.”

Mina also reflected on how social attitudes toward sexual violence have changed over the years.

She explained that 18 years ago, victims often felt pressured to stay silent due to the social climate at the time. Now, she hopes other survivors will no longer blame themselves or hide their experiences out of shame.

“It’s not something victims should feel ashamed of,” she said, encouraging others to find the courage to speak out.

The singer and actress additionally thanked the investigators and prosecutors who supported her throughout the lengthy process, saying they carried the emotional burden alongside her for years.

At the same time, Mina admitted she has become emotionally drained while preparing for another separate legal case.

She admitted that reality often feels harsh because victims must fight tirelessly for themselves without adequate protection or support.

She said, “I hope even part of what I said is acknowledged, rather than obsessing over the final result.” She added that she plans to focus on treatment and recovery.

Ending her message on a calmer note, Mina shared that she feels relieved to have finally completed “one piece of homework,” while promising to continue moving forward step by step.

Kwon Mina take a photo for her Instagram.
Kwon Mina take a photo for Grazia Magazine. (Photo / Kwon Mina Instagram)

Kwon Mina first publicly revealed her experience in 2023 through a YouTube appearance. She disclosed that she had suffered sexual violence while in middle school. She described the incident as one of the deepest traumas of her life and explained that fear of retaliation prevented her from reporting it earlier.

Since leaving AOA, Mina has frequently spoken openly about mental health struggles, trauma, and personal recovery, earning support from fans who have followed her difficult journey over the years.

Author Allen Shin
Drop your reaction below!
😊
Like 0
😭
Sad 0
🤬
Angry 0
🤩
Interesting 0
🥳
Cheer 0

Comments